- Thrilling alternate to Everest Base Camp
- Panoramic mountain view and emerald lakes
- Climb Gokyo Ri for awe inspiring views
- Visit Sherpa homeland and monasteries
Gokyo Lakes Trek Overview
Gokyo Lakes Trek covers the main attractions of the Everest Region and is a thrilling alternate trek to the busy Everest Base Camp Trek. Gokyo Valley has marvellous mountain scenery and provides a look into traditional Sherpa culture. Along the way, we enjoy breathtaking views of Everest and surrounding peaks. The highlight of our journey will be Gokyo Ri (5340 m, 17,519 ft), an awe-inspiring panorama of Everest and nearby peaks, the beautiful Gokyo lakes alongside Ngozomba Glacier. The mountain views along the Gokyo Valley Trek include unforgettable peaks of Everest, Ama Dablam, Lhotse, Cho-Oyu, Pumori, Thamserku and many more. This extraordinary trek visits the Sherpa homeland and their stately monasteries with a chance to witness the surrounding flora and fauna.
Our trek begins with a scenic morning flight to Lukla, from where our real trek begins. We then enter the Khumbu region through Namche Bazaar, a lively market town. Our itinerary includes 2 nights in Namche Bazar (3,450m/11,319ft) and 2 nights in Machermo (4,470m/14,655ft) before we make our way to Gokyo Valley and Lakes. The trek follows up the pristine Gokyo Valley surrounded by constant views of peaks. For better acclimatization, we have two nights in Machermo (4,470m/14,655ft) before we make our way to Gokyo and Gokyo Ri. We enjoy a hike to Gokyo Ri viewpoint, before eventually making a relaxed, satisfying journey back to Lukla to board a flight back to Kathmandu.
Looking for a similar trip covering Everest Base Camp too? Have a look at our Everest Base Camp and Gokyo Lakes Trek, which continues as less than 3 weeks itinerary to the base camp of the world’s highest mountain and Cho La Pass.
Is this trek for you?
|Total Duration||13N/14 Days|
|Trekking Duration||11N/12 Days|
|Maximum Elevation||5,357m/17,575ft at Gokyo Ri|
Longer treks reaching up to an elevation of 5500m where some of the famous mountaineering Base Camps are located and you need to sleep at an elevation of 5000m for a few days. Physically challenging, involving daily trekking of approximately 6 – 8 hours. No previous trekking experience is required but you should be moderately fit and must enjoy walking and adaptable to high altitude conditions.
Please Note: We will go the lengths to follow the itinerary given above, at times local trails or unpredictable weather patterns may necessitate slight changes if necessary. The trekking itinerary may also sometimes vary slightly depending on our trekkers' acclimatization rates. This adventure goes into wild territory above the timberline, so we seek to request maximum flexibility if and when required for the success and safety of your trip and your life.
Dates & Price
Our trips are available on both fixed departure and private group basis.
If you are looking for a group to join this trip please click the Fixed Departures tab for more information on departure dates, availability and price. All our fixed departures are guaranteed to run. Or, if you would like to do this trip alone, or with your friends, families & colleagues in a private group style, please fill out the contact form in Private Group tab and send us your message. We will organize a private trip for you at your preferred dates catering any request you may have.
- All meals (B,L,D) on OPEN/CHOICE Menu whilst on trek with tea & coffee.
- Twin sharing accommodation at Kathmandu guest house or similar category for 4 nights with breakfast
- All required permits for trek (TIMS Card and Everest National Park )
- Accommodation at clean and cozy teahouses/lodges on trek
- Internal flights (KTM-LUA-KTM)
- Experienced local trek leader with 1:4 assistant guide to client ratio
- Full support crew with 1 porter for every 2 trekkers
- Kathmandu airport transfers and escorts
- Comprehensive first aid kit with high altitude medicines and supplementary oxygen system
- Satellite phone for emergency purpose and nominal charge for personal use
- Duffel bag, Sleeping bag with liner and Down Jacket (Sleeping bag and down jacket must be returned after completion of trek)
- Staff insurances and allowances
- Trek completion certificate (Upon request)
- International airfare, Visa and travel insurance
- Meals at Kathmandu
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu or on trek for any reason (Early arrival or delay, Early arrival from trek due to any reason)
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities for staff