- Round Dhaulagiri trek with an optional ascent of Dhampus peak
- A spectacular high alpine landscape and remote lifestyle
- Journey to the far-flung and unspoilt western Nepal
- Fully guided and supported camping trek
Dhaulagiri Circuit Trek, also known as Dhaulagiri Round Trek, is a classic expedition-style trek around the world’s seventh highest peak, Dhaulagiri 8167m and its broad massif of 7000m peaks.
Dhaulagiri Circuit is a challenging trek in the western part of Nepal, offering full adventure and off the beaten path experience in the remote and unspoilt region of Nepal. Dhaulagiri circuit trek itinerary travels through serene, isolated regions full of natural beauty, crossing through highlands and high passes with astonishing viewpoints. The route offers constant mountains views while passing through remote villages and astonishing landscape including several high passes, dense forests and glaciers.
Our 20 days Dhaulagiri circuit trek is a fully guided and supported trek with camping accommodation throughout the trek. Our journey to Dhaulagiri round trek starts with a short flight to Pokhara and then followed by an off-road drive to Darbang the next day. Our actual trek commences from Darbang as we follow the well-paced itinerary which we have meticulously devised keeping every important aspect in mind.
The two weeks trek around Dhaulagiri begins by following the newly identified trekking route along scenic rivers and tumbling waterfalls, and terraced fields surrounding picturesque villages with people following a rural lifestyle. As we ascend leaving the human inhabitance away, the views get more and more exhilarating. Mesmerizing landscape views come into the screen as we reach the Italian base camp, west of Dhaulagiri. Camping overnight at the actual glacier at the Glacier base camp/Japanese camp gives you the sense of being right in the heart of the Himalaya and then we reach Dhaulagiri Base Camp where we are face to face with the high peaks.
Two important rest days at the Italian base camp and the Dhaulagiri base camp have been kept in the itinerary to ensure proper acclimatization. Our itinerary also includes a contingency day, which can be used in case you wish to climb Dhampus peak 6012m.
Another major highlight of this trek is the high passes. From Dhaulagiri base camp, the route traverses French Pass and into the serene Hidden Valley, an isolated region in the middle of the Himalaya. The route makes a traverse of one more pass, Dhampus pass and descends to the Annapurna Circuit. The last section follows along the Annapurna Circuit Trek route. We then finish the journey off by taking a drive to Pokhara.
Is this trek for you?
Dhaulagiri circuit trek or Dhaulagiri round trek is a challenging trek reaching up to a maximum elevation of 5360m at French pass and a maximum overnight elevation of 5050m at the Hidden Valley. This two weeks trek includes crossing two high passes above 5000m and is a fully camping based trek. Physically challenging due to the higher elevation, involves daily trekking of approximately 6–8 hours. No previous trekking experience is required but you should be moderately fit and must enjoy walking and adaptable to high altitude conditions.
Important Note: Your safety is of imperative concern while travelling with Highland Expeditions. Please take care to note that your leader has the authority to amend or cancel any part of the itinerary if it is deemed necessary due to your safety concerns. Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary; however, since this adventure entails travelling in remote mountainous regions, we cannot guarantee that we will not deviate from it. Weather, health condition of a group member, unexpected natural disasters, etc., can all contribute to changes in the itinerary. The trek leader will try to ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but please be prepared to be flexible if required.
Dates & Price
Our trips are available on both fixed departure and private group basis.
If you are looking for a group to join this trip please click the Fixed Departures tab for more information on departure dates, availability and price. All our fixed departures are guaranteed to run. Or, if you would like to do this trip alone, or with your friends, families & colleagues in a private group style, please fill out the contact form in Private Group tab and send us your message. We will organize a private trip for you at your preferred dates catering any request you may have.
- Twin sharing accommodation at Kathmandu guest house or similar category for 3 nights with breakfast
- Twin sharing accommodation at 3-star hotel in Pokhara for 2 nights
- Freshly prepared meals (B, L, D) with boiled water, tea, coffee etc.
- Twin sharing tent for accommodation during the trek. (High-quality 3 men tent)
- Experienced local trek leader with 1:4 assistant guide to client ratio
- Full support camping crew with 1 porter for every 2 trekkers
- All camping logistical arrangements for your comfort
- All ground transportation as mentioned in the itinerary on private vehicle
- All required permits for the trek
- Internal airfare (Kathmandu-Pokhara-Kathmandu)
- International and domestic airport transfers as per flight time
- Comprehensive first aid kit with high altitude medicine
- Supplementary oxygen system and Thuraya satellite phone for emergency purpose
- Waterproof Duffel bag and use of the sleeping bag and down Jacket
- Staff wages, equipment, insurance and allowances
- International airfare, Nepal Visa and travel insurance
- Meals at Kathmandu
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu, Pokhara or on the trek for any reason (Early arrival or delay, Early arrival from trek due to any reason)
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities for staff
- Personal trekking gears