Everest three high passes trek covers the three high passes of Khumbu connecting the valleys of Thame, Gokyo and Imja with Everest base camp
- Traverse the 3 major high passes of Everest region
- Two major viewpoints, Gokyo Ri and Kalapathar.
- Everest Base Camp and emerald lakes
- Lodge trekking with full support crew
Everest Three High Passes Trek is your precursor for the bigger things to come. Our cosy lodge-based Everest Three High Pass Trek swings through an alpine circuit of the jagged Khumbu and wades through three formidable passes.
Renjo La Pass, Cho La Pass and Khongma La Pass connect the sublime valleys of Thame, Gokyo and the Imja Khola. High Passes, Panoramic viewpoints and Glacial lakes are the key highlights of this Everest three high passes trek. Experience Everest in a full picture in a single itinerary without missing any major places while following proper acclimatization and safety backup.
Everest Three High Passes Trek Overview
Our Three High Passes journey commences from the well-known Khumbu Valley, the abode of the Sherpas; we ideally haul up at the lively Namche bazaar for two nights to acclimatize before hitting trails. From Namche, we detour the main trail to Everest base camp and trek to Thame valley. We do this trek in a clockwise direction starting with Renjo La Pass and concluding with Khongma La Pass. This route will provide better views of the mountains as we move closer to our objectives.
From Renjo La Pass, We move to the venerated Gokyo lakes for 2 blissful nights and climb Gokyo Ri (5,357m/17,575ft). Gokyo Ri is a major viewpoint providing panoramic views of mountains. The next day we plod up to snowy Cho La at (5,420m/17,783ft) before making it to Everest Base Camp & the breathtaking Kalapathar for some heavenly views of the surrounding Everest landscapes.
Once we’ve done hereabouts, we return to Lobuche and complete the final objective of our Everest Three High Passes Trek, Khongma La Pass (5,535m/18,160ft). From Chukung, we retrace back and meet up with the Everest trails via the lovely villages of Dingboche & the famous Tengboche monastery. On this circuit, as we go through a clockwise direction, we get wonderful chances to acclimatize on quieter trails in the valley of the Bhote Kosi; while savouring stunning views of the tallest mountains on the planet, glacial lakes & sublime valleys that make the whole venture worth the go.
Since most of our hikes go above 4000m, this trip would not be appropriate for greenhorns but will surely be a great outing for those who are mountain fit and have trekked high altitudes before. Highland Expeditions will be your one-stop solution for a holiday of this kind because some of us were born on these parts of this trek that you’ll undertake for the journey of a lifetime…that has it all!!
How tough is Everest Three High Passes Trek?
Everest three high passes trek is considered challenging due to the longer duration trek/climb in a remote and isolated area that goes above 5500m and you need to sleep at an elevation of 5000m+ for multiple days. This grade doesn’t involve the usage of technical equipment (Harness, Ice Axe, Crampons, Mountaineering Boots, Ascender). Previous experience of trekking at high altitudes is essential but not mandatory. You should be in excellent physical shape to take part in the Everest High Passes trek. Our three high passes trek is a fully lodged based holiday with a full support crew to assist you.
Please Note: We will go the lengths to follow the itinerary given above, at times local trails or unpredictable weather patterns may necessitate slight changes if necessary. The trekking itinerary may also sometimes vary slightly depending on our trekkers' acclimatization rates. This adventure goes into wild territory above the timberline, so we seek to request maximum flexibility if and when required for the success and safety of your trip and your life.
Dates & Price
Our trips are available on both fixed departure and private group basis.
If you are looking for a group to join this trip please click the Fixed Departures tab for more information on departure dates, availability and price. All our fixed departures are guaranteed to run. Or, if you would like to do this trip alone, or with your friends, families & colleagues in a private group style, please fill out the contact form in Private Group tab and send us your message. We will organize a private trip for you at your preferred dates catering any request you may have.
- All meals (B,L,D) on OPEN/CHOICE Menu whilst on trek with tea & coffee.
- Twin sharing accommodation at Kathmandu guest house or similar category for 4 nights with breakfast
- All required permits for trek
- Internal flights (KTM-LUA-KTM)
- Experienced local trek leader with 1:4 assistant guide to client ratio
- Full support crew with 1 porter for every 2 trekkers
- Sightseeing of Kathmandu including guide and entrance fees
- Kathmandu airport transfers and escorts on private vehicle
- Comprehensive first aid kit with high altitude medicines and oxygen
- Satellite phone for emergency purpose
- Duffel bag, Sleeping bag with liner and Down Jacket (Sleeping bag and down jacket must be returned after completion of trek)
- Staff insurances and allowances
- Trek completion certificate (Upon request)
- International airfare, Visa and travel insurance
- Meals at Kathmandu
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu or on trek for any reason (Early arrival or delay, Early arrival from trek due to any reason)
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities for staff
The gear listed below is recommended for Everest Base Camp Three High Passes Trek. We encourage you to get all the equipment listed below for the trip and kindly ensure you check and try every piece of equipment. You can also buy or hire the same in Kathmandu as they are available in the many trekking shops from branded to local manufacturers in Kathmandu.
- Warm hat (should cover head & ear comfortably)
- Buffs X 2
- Sunglasses (High-quality, UV-blocking sunglasses with good all-around protection)
- Headlamp with spare batteries (200-300 lumens output)
- Thermal or fleece base layer top X 2
- Short Sleeve Trekking shirts X 2
- Full Sleeve trekking shirts X 2
- Soft-shell jacket/fleece jacket X 2
- Light down jacket X 1
- Hardshell jacket with a hood X 1
- Insulated Down Jacket (provided by us at request)
- Thermal or fleece base layer bottom X 2
- Trekking trousers/pants X 2
- Warm trekking trousers X 1
- Hardshell pants (Non-insulated and waterproof)
- Insulated down pants (optional)
- 4 pairs of synthetic or wool fabrics only
- Waterproof Hiking Boots (GoreTex and Good Tread)
- Hiking socks X 4 pairs medium to heavy (synthetic and wool)
- Liner socks X 2
- Camp shoes to wear at the teahouse
- Yaktrax / Microspikes
- Softshell gloves X 1
- Heavyweight gloves X 1
Gears / Personal equipment:
- Daypack 30-35 litres with rain cover
- Waterproof Duffel bag (provided by us at request)
- Down Sleeping bag (-15 C rated) (provided by us at request)
- One-litre capacity water bottle X 2 (Nalgene & Thermos)
- Trekking poles
- Camera with charger or spare batteries
- Personal snacks and energy bars (you can buy them during the trek too)
- Laundry bag to keep the dirty clothes
- Padlock (Optional)
- Ear plugs
- Rain Poncho
- Large plastic bags to keep the clothes dry
- Extra clothes to wear in Kathmandu when you come back from the trek.
- Flip flop or sneaker to wear in city
Toiletries and hygiene:
- Quick-drying towel
- Small face towel
- Toothbrush &Toothpaste
- Face mask
- Water treatment tools or tablets (Recommended: Aquatabs)
- Deodorants, Soap and Shampoo (Smaller bottle)
- Face and body moisturizer
- Sunscreen SPF30+ and Lip balm SPF 30+
- Hand sanitiser/Antiseptic wipes
- Hygiene products
- Basic first aid kit (Pepto Bismol, Cipro (500mg tablets), Metronidazole, Hydration salts, Eye drops, Azithromycin (250mg tablets), Diamox (250mg tablets, approx. 35 total), and variety of standard painkillers including Tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc)
- Passport with visa and validity of 6 months after your trip completion
- Credit cards in case of emergencies
- Driving ID or any other ID in case of loss of your passport
- Travel Insurance
- Flight tickets
We cannot rate Highland Expeditions highly enough. We had an incredible experience, from start to finish on our Three High Passes trek.
The booking was incredibly easy and we felt fully informed at all stages of the process. We were welcomed at the airport by one of the Highland guides and taken straight to the hotel in a private taxi where Pasang was waiting to greet us. We had a brilliant sight seeing tour to see some of the cultural sights in Kathmandu (with a private guide) before our trek.
Then Pasang introduced us to our guide for the trek and ensured we had all the kit we needed. Our guide was very informative throughout the trek and very positive even when we doubted ourselves. He was very knowledgeable and could always answer our questions.
Finally, after the trek Pasang took us out to dinner to celebrate completing our trek, it was lovely to catch up after a few weeks in the mountains. He also booked a car and made sure there was someone to help us get to our bus stop when departing the hotel!
Overall the trip felt very personal, thank you to Pasang and the brilliant team at Highland!
Well organised trip with excellent support from guides and sherpas; nothing was too much trouble. 5-star experience with Highland Expeditions. The trip was everything I expected and more, fantastic mountain scenery.