A fully guided and supported climb to Island Peak with an acclimatization trek to Everest base camp, Kalapathar and Khongma La Pass.
- First and ideal Himalayan climb
- Acclimatization to Kalapathar and visit Everest Base Camp
- Trek and Climb gears provided
- Stunning views from summit.
About Island Peak Climb
Island Peak climb is the second most sought climbing peak after Mighty Everest in Everest region. Existing atop the Chukung glacier amid Lhotse and Amadablam Mountains, this peak comes down like a wing of the ridge from the southern flank of Lhotse Shar which gives it an appearance of an island floating in the sea of ice. Thus, Imja Tse got its name of Island Peak. This peak was attempted for the first time in 1953 as a training base for Everest Expeditions and to this day, this peak is chosen for practice before climbing mountains. Climbing Island Peak does not involve technical skills but demands physical strength. Island peak is graded as Alpine PD+. Our expert climbing guide will be providing full-day training on Island Peak Base Camp before the actual climb. So, this peak is for amateurs and experts alike. Be prepared for 250 m rope climb to the summit. Island Peak climbing route progresses through glacial moraines of Imja and Lhotse and stretches along Sagarmatha National Park and Sherpa villages. Learn about the time forgotten culture, tradition and religion of Sherpa people. Spring and Autumn are two best seasons for Island Peak Climb.
Island Peak Climb Itinerary
Follow the footsteps of Sir Edmund Hillary to the thrilling Imja Tse peak (6,189 m) that is the first choice among climbers wishing to climb peaks above 6,000 m height. Our Island peak climbing itinerary follows a carefully planned approach with an acclimatization trek to Everest Base Camp, Kalapathar and Khongma La Pass. Instead of attempting Island peak straight, we will visit Everest base camp (5,364m/17,559ft), climb Kalapathar (5,545m/18,193ft) and cross Khongma La Pass (5,535m/18,155ft) and finally reach the base camp of Island peak. We have also allowed ample time for acclimatization and scheduled a contingency day in our itinerary to maximise the summit chances. Your safety is our prime concern and not only have we placed enough leisure days in itinerary for acclimatization but all of our climbing guides are well trained in emergency treatment. Our package combines Everest Base Camp and Khongma La Pass for acclimatization with Island Peak Climbing so that this will be a very cost-effective adventure for you.
Why climb Island peak with us?
At Highland Expeditions we always believe in ‘Safety first and Service paramount’. The success of any climb depends largely on a carefully planned itinerary and best logistics and these are what we offer. We are committed to maintaining the climb safe and success with the quality of service.
- Our emphasis is always on maintaining the small group so that it will be easy to coordinate and cooperate with each other.
- You will be guided by highly professional guides/Sherpas who have experience of successfully climbing several national and international peaks.
- At Highland Expeditions, we provide 1:3 guide to client ratio on summit days.
- All climbing equipment (Personal and group) provided at no extra cost
- All our groups are backed up with Supplementary oxygen system, satellite phone and comprehensive medical kit.
- Acclimatization trek to Everest base camp, Kalapathar and Khongma La Pass
- We are dedicated to providing the highest professionalism throughout the climb by taking utmost care of all the logistics needed.
Is Island Peak hard to climb?
Island Peak (6,189m/20,305ft) is graded under Alpine PD+ which suggests it to be a challenging climb. Climbers must be in the excellent physical condition and previous experience of trekking at high altitude is definitely recommended. For the climbing, you need to be familiar with crampons, climbing harness, fixed ropes, abseiling and rappelling. Climbers are now required to cross ladder on the Island peak due to the glacial recession. You will be receiving a full day pre-climb training at the base camp from our guides, where you can learn mountaineering skills and know the correct way of using climbing gears. It would be beneficial to prepare yourself for the climb with some regular training including running, cycling or gym work. Be prepared to walk for 6-7 hrs per day on average. Summit day can be 10-14 hrs long. Read our top 10 tips for Island peak climb
Important Note: Your safety is of imperative concern while travelling with Highland Expeditions. Please take care to note that your leader/guide has the authority to amend or cancel any part of the itinerary if it is deemed necessary due to your safety concerns. Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary; however, since this adventure entails travelling in remote mountainous regions, we cannot guarantee that we will not deviate from it. Weather and health condition of a group member, unexpected natural disasters, etc., can all contribute to changes in the itinerary. The Trek & Climb leader/guide will try to ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but please be prepared to be flexible if required
Dates & Price
Given below are the fixed departure dates for this trip. If the dates don’t match with your schedule, then kindly let us know and we will arrange a private trip customizing the departure dates suitable for you. The cost below is per person on group joining basis excluding the international flights. Group discount is available for booking of two or more than two persons. Kindly contact us if you have a bigger group for the discount.
|Trip Start Date||Trip End Date||Price||Status|
|05 Apr, 2020||26 Apr, 2020||USD 3,000||Available||Book Now|
|19 Apr, 2020||10 May, 2020||USD 3,000||Available||Book Now|
|03 May, 2020||24 May, 2020||USD 3,000||Available||Book Now|
|04 Oct, 2020||25 Oct, 2020||USD 3,000||Available||Book Now|
|18 Oct, 2020||08 Nov, 2020||USD 3,000||Available||Book Now|
|01 Nov, 2020||22 Nov, 2020||USD 3,000||Available||Book Now|
Group tours are unavailable for this trip, however, you can opt for the private trip. The private trips are available on any date of your choice at any time of the year. Let us know about your preferred travel dates and we shall organize it as per your convenience. Get in touch with your query now.
- Fully guided climb with climbing guides at 1:3 ratio (Guide to Client Ratio)
- All meals (B,L,D) and accommodation at Teahouses/Lodges during trekking period.
- Meals and High-quality mountain tents during climbing period
- Twin sharing accommodation at Kathmandu guest house or similar category for 4 nights with breakfast
- All required permits for trek and climb
- Porterage of all equipments
- Kathmandu airport transfers and escorts
- Comprehensive first aid kit with supplementary oxygen system
- Satellite phone for emergency purpose and nominal charge for personal use
- Duffel bag, Sleeping bag with liner and Down Jacket (Sleeping bag and down jacket must be returned after completion of trek)
- Group climbing gears
- Use of personal climbing gears [Mountaineering Boots, Harness, Crampons, Helmet, Ascender, Rope, Ice Axe, Screw-gate Carabiners (Lock & Unlock), Prusik Loop)
- Staff summit bonus, insurances and allowances
- Island Peak summit certificate issued by Nepal Mountaineering Association
- Rescue arrangements
- International airfare, Visa and travel insurance
- Meals at Kathmandu
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu or on trek for any reason (Early arrival or delay, Early arrival from trek due to any reason)
- Personal expenses - Drinks & Souvenirs
- Gratuities for staff
Having known the people who started this company a long time ago its grown a lot since then and just gets better and better. I and a group of friends took the challenge of Everest base camp trek with Island peak climb during Spring 2019. I have personally visited Nepal a couple of times before and this time I decided to go big by climbing a 6000m peak.
I knew Pasang from before and I knew that he is the man who can pull this together even at a short notice and yet deliver a great experience. I got in touch with Pasang and he helped me with all the planning and preparation for the climb. On trek & climb, it was outstanding with all the experiences and services delivered as said. On our return, the weather was not good for the fight to operate so without any further delay, Pasang got us in a helicopter on the same day.
Took a while for me to leave a review of our climbing experience but they did a great job
John, Rob, Dan, Jeff
Summited Island Peak (20,000ft) without any serious issues and all this was made possible by the expert team at Highland Expeditions. The overall leadership, logistics and services were excellent during the entire trek & climb. The itinerary includes acclimatization trek to Everest base camp, which I personally think is really helpful before attempting the peak. Compared to other companies we had extra rest days and easy days which I feel helped me.
Our climbing guide (Ang Sona) and Sherpas were nothing short of excellent. They were such good people to guide you all the way to the summit of Island Peak and back.