- A coveted gem hidden away from the bustling world
- Trek from Lower Dolpo to Jomsom via Upper Dolpo
- Shey Phoksundo Lake, Shey Gompa & several villages
- Cross multiple high passes and conclude at Jomsom
Upper Dolpo to Jomsom trek is an exhilarating and awe-inspiring expedition, venturing into the untouched wilderness of Nepal.
Nestled between the Tibetan plateau to the north, Dolpo has nurtured a long-standing connection with its neighbouring land, fostering a harmonious blend of Tibetan Buddhist culture and the ancient Bon religion predating the modern practices of Tibetan Buddhism. The isolated area was opened to trekkers in 1989, but few people have witnessed the timeless way of life there and the culture retains much of its mystique.
A coveted gem hidden away from the bustling world, Upper Dolpo captivates with its awe-inspiring contrasts and mesmerizing splendour. Few have trodden upon this sacred land, as gaining access requires special permits, rendering it a realm preserved in mystique. This is an exciting trek full of adventure through one of the most remote areas of Nepal. Upper Dolpo to Jomsom Trek is like nowhere else on the planet and is a special area of rugged contrasts and astonishing beauty.
Our trip from Upper Dolpo to Jomsom Trek is a 28-day trip following a clockwise direction starting from Jhupal and ending at Jomsom. We begin our trek with a flight to Nepalgunj and catch another flight to Jhupal the following morning. Jhupal serves as a starting point for the trek and our trek will officially commence from here.
From Jhupal we make our way north and trek via Lower Dolpo in the initial days passing Dunai, deep-blue Phoksundo Lake, waterfalls, high mountain passes and finally on to Shey Gompa and the regal villages of Dolpo. Shey Phoksundo upwards is Upper Dolpo Region. We follow an ancient trade route over a high pass to the famous Shey Monastery next to Crystal Mountain. En route, we are bestowed with majestic vistas of revered peaks such as Kanjiroba, Annapurna Ranges, Nilgiri and Dhaulagiri as we conquer remote mountain passes offering breathtaking panoramic viewpoints.
This trek includes the crossing of several passes with the highest pass being Jugben La at 5,550m/18,040ft. We enjoy more Himalayan landscapes with mountain views as we head east crossing passes and finally descend to the airport at Jomsom, the headquarters of Mustang District. From there we take a scheduled flight back to Pokhara and stay overnight at Pokhara. The next morning we take a 7 hrs drive back to Kathmandu.
Our Upper Dolpo to Jomsom Trek is a very special trip that allows you to unlock your adventurous spirit and immerse yourself in the wonders of the Upper Dolpo. Unlike other trekking regions in Nepal, this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip that will surely take you back in time. This transformative journey promises to unveil the secrets of an untouched land, where nature’s magnificence intertwines with the enigmatic tapestry of ancient cultures. Join us and create memories that will last a lifetime, as you step foot into a world that remains untouched by time.
Dates & Price
Our trips are available on both fixed departure and private group basis.
If you are looking for a group to join this trip please click the Fixed Departures tab for more information on departure dates, availability and price. All our fixed departures are guaranteed to run. Or, if you would like to do this trip alone, or with your friends, families & colleagues in a private group style, please fill out the contact form in Private Group tab and send us your message. We will organize a private trip for you at your preferred dates catering any request you may have.
- Twin-sharing accommodation at Kathmandu guest house or similar category for 4 nights with breakfast
- Twin-sharing accommodation at a 3-star hotel in Pokhara for 2 nights
- Freshly prepared meals (B, L, D) with boiled water, tea, coffee etc.
- Twin sharing tent for accommodation during the trek. (High-quality 3-men tent)
- Experienced local trek leader with a 1:4 assistant guide-to-client ratio
- Full support camping crew with mules for porterage
- All camping logistical arrangements for your comfort
- All ground transportation as mentioned in the itinerary on private vehicle
- All required permits for the trek
- Internal airfare (Kathmandu-Nepalgunj-Jhupal-Jomsom-Pokhara)
- International and domestic airport transfers as per flight time
- Comprehensive first aid kit with high-altitude medicine
- Supplementary oxygen system and Thuraya satellite phone for emergency purposes
- Waterproof Duffel bag and use of the sleeping bag and down Jacket
- Staff wages, equipment, insurance and allowances
- International airfare, Nepal Visa and travel insurance
- Meals at Kathmandu
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu, Pokhara or on the trek for any reason (Early arrival or delay, Early arrival from trek due to any reason)
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities for staff
- Personal trekking gears