- Third most popular trekking region
- Nearest Himalayan destination from Kathmandu
- Tibetan Highlands and rural landscapes
- Kyanjin Gompa and Gosaikunda
Langtang Valley Trek is a superb introduction for trekking rookies heading to Nepal among some of the most amazing scenery in the Himalayas. The Langtang Valley is the closest Himalayan destination from medieval Kathmandu valley. Ironically, despite being so close to Kathmandu, this Region is a blockbuster for the wild similar to the Tibetan highlands with heavenly rural landscapes that set the imaginations on overdrive. The valley runs west to east, on an even keel with the Tibetan border; yet, north of Kathmandu, we find famous trekking trails, that are not crowded like the Khumbu or Annapurna zones. Langtang valley trek provides trekkers with an of the mind-blowing countryside which includes verdant forests to ascetic high mountain landscapes, and stunning views of the Ganesh, Langtang, and Jugal mountains that make you feel heady and dizzy.
Bill Tilman, a famous British explorer, described Langtang as the most ‘Beautiful valley in the world’; and it has been so ever since Tillman first discovered this region. The valley is bordered by high peaks of amazing features and is said to be a ‘treasure trove’ of alpine plants. The Langtang valley trek is spectacular in spring when the whole area is literally decked with a carpet of beautiful flowers that literally stuns the senses of its beholders.
Our Lantang Valley Trek starts from Syabrubesi, which is a day-long drive away from Kathmandu via Trisuli. The trail cuts through densely forested areas of blue pine, oaks, maple, spruce and rhododendron (one-fourth of the valley park is all verdant forest). The trail clings to the Langtang Khola river bank until Kyangjin gompa.
Langtang valley doesn’t only give us sublime views of Langtang Lirung at [7,234m] and the huge Ganesh peak at [7,406m], we also come down to earth by learning of the different ethnic lifestyles of the Tamang and Sherpa communities that inhabit this zone and we observe similarities that are so much like the people in Tibet.
Kyangjin Ri at (4,773 m) is roughly three hours up and something like an hour and a half down and it offers breathtaking views of the surrounding Himalayas if we desire to explore this area. After exploring the region, we hike back the same route to Syabrubesi from where we drive back to Kathmandu.
Is this trek for you?
Duration for treks of this grade stretches up to two (2) weeks. Trails generally go above 4000 meters and on a daily basis, you can expect to be walking for about 5 – 7 hours. The perfect setting of introduction to moderate & challenging trekking in Nepal. Activity level/physical rating is slightly harder than leisure and involves occasional difficult days. Expect ups and downs as well for there will be hills to climb as well and the well-known ‘Nepali flat’ – a little bit up and a little bit down.
Important Note: Your safety is of imperative concern while travelling with Highland Expeditions. Please take care to note that your leader has the authority to amend or cancel any part of the itinerary if it is deemed necessary due to your safety concerns. Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary; however, since this adventure entails travelling in remote mountainous regions, we cannot guarantee that we will not deviate from it. Weather or health condition of a group member, unexpected natural disasters, etc., can all contribute to changes in the itinerary. The trek leader will try to ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but please be prepared to be flexible if required.
Dates & Price
Our trips are available on both fixed departure and private group basis.
If you are looking for a group to join this trip please click the Fixed Departures tab for more information on departure dates, availability and price. All our fixed departures are guaranteed to run. Or, if you would like to do this trip alone, or with your friends, families & colleagues in a private group style, please fill out the contact form in Private Group tab and send us your message. We will organize a private trip for you at your preferred dates catering any request you may have.
- All meals (B,L,D) on OPEN/CHOICE Menu during the trek with tea & coffee.
- Twin sharing accommodation at Kathmandu guest house or similar category for 3 nights with breakfast
- Accommodation at clean and cosy teahouses/lodges on the trek
- All ground transportation as per mentioned in the itinerary on private vehicle
- All required permits for the trek (TIMS Card & National Park Fees)
- Experienced local trek leader with 1:4 assistant guide to client ratio
- Full support crew with 1 porter for every 2 trekkers
- Kathmandu airport transfers and escorts
- Comprehensive first aid kit with high altitude medicines
- Use of Duffel bag, Sleeping bag with liner and Down Jacket
- Staff equipment, insurance and allowances
- Trek completion certificate (Upon request)
- International airfare, Nepal visa and travel insurance
- Meals at Kathmandu
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu or on the trek for any reason (Early arrival or delay, Early arrival from trek due to any reason)
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities for staff