- Spectacular trek in eastern Nepal
- Discover the rich diversity in flora and fauna
- Base camp of the world’s fifth highest mountain
- Close-up look of western face of Makalu.
Makalu Base Camp Trek is one of the spectacular treks in Eastern Nepal that takes us close to the world’s fifth-highest Makalu Mountain. Makalu Base Camp trek route progresses through Makalu Barun National Park that is renowned for its rare species of flora and fauna. In fact, Barun Valley provides shelter to some of the last remaining Himalayan meadows. Makalu Barun National Park is home to over 400 species of birds including rare wren babbler, and more than 75 species of mammals like Red Panda, Leopard and others. The Arun River that crisscrosses the park has more than 80 species of fish.
Opened for foreigners only since 1952, Trek to Makalu Base Camp is one of the least crowded trekking routes where one can still observe local life in its traditional form.
Eric Shipton was the first foreigner to visit this lost land by crossing the High Pass which was later named Shipton La to honour his memory. The Makalu region is one of the most culturally diverse areas. Makalu Base Camp trek allows the close-up look of the western face of Makalu.
Base Camp allows scenic views of Makalu Mountain (8463m), Mount Everest (8850m), Lhotse Mountain (8516m), Baruntse Mountain (7220m) and other peaks and mountains. The journey takes us through deep Arun Valley located at 435m above sea level to the base of Makalu Mountain. Spring and Autumn are considered the best season for Makalu Base Camp Trek. The route is quite remote with not much permanent settlement.
– Equipment (Down Jacket, Sleeping bag wt liner, Duffel bag) worth USD 300 provided for trekking
– Comprehensive first aid kit with oxygen backup for all high altitude treks
– Satellite phone for emergency purpose
– Fully guided trek with an expert leader and team of dedicated staff
– Medical trained staff with English language proficiency
– All meals (B,L,D) and accommodation included on trek
– Reasonable price with no hidden cost
– High staff to client ratio on all trips
– Higher success ratio
Important Note: Your safety is of imperative concern while traveling with Highland Expeditions. Please take care to note that your leader has the authority to amend or cancel any part of the itinerary if it is deemed necessary due to your safety concerns. Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary; however, since this adventure entails travelling in remote mountainous regions, we cannot guarantee that we will not deviate from it. Weather or health condition of a group member, unexpected natural disasters, etc., can all contribute to changes in the itinerary. The trek leader will try to ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but please be prepared to be flexible if required.
Dates & Price
Our trips are available on both fixed departure and private group basis.
If you are looking for a group to join this trip please click the Fixed Departures tab for more information on departure dates, availability and price. All our fixed departures are guaranteed to run. Or, if you would like to do this trip alone, or with your friends, families & colleagues in a private group style, please fill out the contact form in Private Group tab and send us your message. We will organize a private trip for you at your preferred dates catering any request you may have.
- Fully organized teahouse/lodge trek
- All meals (B,L,D) on trek including hot water and tea.
- Twin sharing accommodation at Kathmandu guest house or similar category for 4 nights with breakfast
- Internal flights
- All required permits for trek
- All ground transfers as per mentioned in the itinerary
- An English speaking local leader with full support crew 1:4 sherpa guide to client ratio
- Sightseeing of Kathmandu including guide and entrance fees
- Kathmandu airport transfers and escorts
- Comprehensive first aid kit.
- Duffel bag, Sleeping bag and Down Jacket (Sleeping bag and down jacket must be returned after completion of trek)
- Staff insurances and allowances
- International airfare, Visa and travel insurance
- Meals at Kathmandu
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu or on trek for any reason (Early arrival or delay, Early arrival from trek due to any reason)
- Personal expenses and tips